Journal Week 5: "I Don't Like the Sinner Part"

Here's another example of what's broken in progressive Christianity.

Awhile back I was speaking at a progressive Christian event. A woman asked me about the Orthodox prayer rope I wear on my right wrist. "What's that?" she asked.

I explained it was a prayer rope and that the Orthodox use the knots in the rope to keep track of Jesus prayers, the same thing I use it for.

"You recite the Jesus prayer on each knot," I explained, "'Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'"

"Oh, I like that," she exclaimed, "but I don't like the sinner part. I'd leave that out."

Classic progressive Christian response.

"I don't like the sinner part. I'd leave that out."

"I don't like the sinner part." Well who does? I sure don't. But that doesn't mean it's not true. Speaking for myself, to borrow from the Psalms, my sin is always before me.

Listen, I'm not saying we need to load up on shame and don hair shirts. But if your Christianity isn't involved in owning and confronting your sin then, well, I don't have much use it.

"I don't like the sinner part. I'd leave that out."

That's the problem in a nutshell.

We are Christians who don't need Christ.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply